Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Pheromone Phenomenon
jvkohl
Expert

Sex: Male

The Pheromone Phenomenon
12-10-2009 7:06 AM

It's very frustrating to wake up and read "fluff" pieces like the one at the URL that follows:

https://www.kansan.com/news/2009/dec/10/...non/#c9499

So, I commented on the article. Someday, I'll tell you how I really feel about this type of journalistic misrepresentation of scientific facts.

James V. Kohl
scentoferos.com
12-10-2009 7:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Phya
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

RE: The Pheromone Phenomenon
12-17-2009 12:26 AM

"Pheromones are said to be made up of compounds of different chemicals."

That really says it all about the degree of understanding the author has about pheromones. How much more vague can you get?

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma... which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
-Steve Jobs
12-17-2009 12:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jvkohl
Expert

12-17-2009 9:46 PM

(12-17-2009 12:26 AM)Phya Wrote:  "Pheromones are said to be made up of compounds of different chemicals." That really says it all about the degree of understanding the author has about pheromones. How much more vague can you get?

And yet, there's the article someone saw fit to print. That's part of what I find so annoying. Another part is when people respond to say what a good article it is.

James

12-17-2009 9:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Diane999
Banned for Violations

12-18-2009 12:02 AM

Unfortunately, you can't expect the general public to have much knowledge of the nitty gritty of the chemistry behind pheromones. Most don't even know what they eat much less something as esoteric as pheromones.

But, I share your frustration. More than pieces like this what gets my goat the most are charlatains that post ads for products and make up all kinds of "science" to back up their products, complete with fake charts and all. Pheromone savvy users laugh these off, but the general public probably hasn't a clue that these are just crap ads. And it muddies the water and makes the real knowledge hard to discern for those interested in finding out the truth.

The blind leading the blind... it gives us all a bad name.

Diane
12-18-2009 12:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jvkohl
Expert

12-18-2009 12:02 PM

(12-18-2009 12:02 AM)Diane999 Wrote:  Pheromone savvy users laugh these off, but the general public probably hasn't a clue that these are just crap ads. And it muddies the water and makes the real knowledge hard to discern for those interested in finding out the truth. The blind leading the blind... it gives us all a bad name. Diane

A response to these ads is coming from Richard Doty who is a well-recognized researcher and whose book "The Great Pheromone Myth" will be published soon. I don't think that it would have been necessary to put human pheromones in the light of this "myth" had the marketers not used their tactics to blind us to the science.

James V. Kohl

http://www.pheromones.com

12-18-2009 12:02 PM

Login or register to remove all advertising

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Human pheromones, a controversial subject, seem to be a natural phenomenon" jvkohl 0 2,083 12-20-2010 11:16 PM
Last Post: jvkohl