Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Iso E Super and Dirty English experiment
Snoopyace
The Love God

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Lightbulb Iso E Super and Dirty English experiment
06-16-2017 1:08 PM

I bought a bottle of Dirty English through Fragrantica about a month or so ago. Just wanted to see what the reformulated DE smelled like. I also noticed that it is pretty cheap at about $18 U.S for a 100ml bottle.

If you've never smelled the original, you would think that it smells quite nice. Having owned the original I noticed that the longevity and the sillage were somewhat... lacking in the reformulation. The scent was close to the original but didn't have quite the same punch. The top notes were similar but the heart and base notes don't have nearly the same diffusion they once did. I'd have to reapply every three or so hours where with the old formulation (and the oil I got from the Fragrance Shop) I found I could still smell it at the end of a long day of wearing. In other words, 12-14 hours after initial application of 2-3 sprays. The new stuff means I spray on 5 sprays and have to reapply that much ever few hours. Enter... Iso E Super.

I bought a really nice atomizer bottle from Cinis Labs while also buying a few scent samples that I'll have to review at a later date. The bottom line is that I actually like all of the scents I bought and feel they are very wearable. It's one thing to admire a scent but quite another to feel that you could actually wear it instead of using it like a room air freshener or something.

Anyhow, Using a pipette, I added approximately 10 ml of Iso E Super to my new bottle and then using a different pipette, I transferred approximately 100 ml of Dirty English scent from my old bottle to the new one. Shook the bottle like it owed me money and I am going to let it sit a day or so to see if the sillage and longevity are improved. I will likely try it once because I am impatient but then let it sit at least a week after in order to make sure everything mixes and mingles nicely.

*fingers crossed* for a Dirty English that puts the Dirty back in the English. blowkiss

“Funny guys are dangerous. They’ll make you laugh, and laugh, and laugh then boom, you are naked.”

“Charm is the way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clearly defined question” - Oscar Wilde
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2017 4:06 PM by Snoopyace.)
06-16-2017 1:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AMMO5680
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

RE: Iso E Super and Dirty English experiment
06-16-2017 5:17 PM

I own DE amd really like it. The only thing was the silahe. Now I am going to test woth ISO E to see how it works. Thanks for the tip...

-AMMO OUT
06-16-2017 5:17 PM
Ekscentra

Rep Post

06-16-2017 5:55 PM

(06-16-2017 1:08 PM)Snoopyace Wrote:  I bought a bottle of Dirty English through Fragrantica about a month or so ago. Just wanted to see what the reformulated DE smelled like. I also noticed that it is pretty cheap at about $18 U.S for a 100ml bottle.

If you've never smelled the original, you would think that it smells quite nice. Having owned the original I noticed that the longevity and the sillage were somewhat... lacking in the reformulation. The scent was close to the original but didn't have quite the same punch. The top notes were similar but the heart and base notes don't have nearly the same diffusion they once did. I'd have to reapply every three or so hours where with the old formulation (and the oil I got from the Fragrance Shop) I found I could still smell it at the end of a long day of wearing. In other words, 12-14 hours after initial application of 2-3 sprays. The new stuff means I spray on 5 sprays and have to reapply that much ever few hours. Enter... Iso E Super.

I bought a really nice atomizer bottle from Cinis Labs while also buying a few scent samples that I'll have to review at a later date. The bottom line is that I actually like all of the scents I bought and feel they are very wearable. It's one thing to admire a scent but quite another to feel that you could actually wear it instead of using it like a room air freshener or something.

Anyhow, Using a pipette, I added approximately 10 ml of Iso E Super to my new bottle and then using a different pipette, I transferred approximately 100 ml of Dirty English scent from my old bottle to the new one. Shook the bottle like it owed me money and I am going to let it sit a day or so to see if the sillage and longevity are improved. I will likely try it once because I am impatient but then let it sit at least a week after in order to make sure everything mixes and mingles nicely.

*fingers crossed* for a Dirty English that puts the Dirty back in the English. blowkiss

Iso E Super might improve performance, but it's not going to bring anything close to the original. Dirty English was released just a couple of years before severe oakmoss restrictions took effect. This is why most of what's released today offers significantly worse performance than vintage fragrances of the past. As an advantage over Iso E Super, oakmoss won't tend to induce anosmia in the wearer. As far as real oakmoss goes, only one source I'm aware of happens to sell the real version (as opposed to the castrated, IFRA-approved version). You can find that below.

https://hermitageoils.com/product/oakmoss-absolute/
06-16-2017 5:55 PM
theLaw

Rep Post

06-16-2017 6:02 PM

(06-16-2017 5:55 PM)Ekscentra Wrote:  Iso E Super might improve performance, but it's not going to bring anything close to the original. Dirty English was released just a couple of years before severe oakmoss restrictions took effect. This is why most of what's released today offers significantly worse performance than vintage fragrances of the past. As an advantage over Iso E Super, oakmoss won't tend to induce anosmia in the wearer. As far as real oakmoss goes, only one source I'm aware of happens to sell the real version (as opposed to the castrated, IFRA-approved version). You can find that below.

https://hermitageoils.com/product/oakmoss-absolute/

Interesting you should say that, I've always been a fan of Le Male, but it's now viewed by cologne enthusiasts as a shadow of its former self..................especially when it comes to staying power.Scaut

Signatures are forum-cancer.Scout
06-16-2017 6:02 PM
Login or register to remove all advertising

Ekscentra

Rep Post

06-16-2017 7:22 PM

(06-16-2017 6:02 PM)theLaw Wrote:  Interesting you should say that, I've always been a fan of Le Male, but it's now viewed by cologne enthusiasts as a shadow of its former self..................especially when it comes to staying power.Scaut

Le Male most likely didn't contain oakmoss, or if it did, it must have been a very small amount. Oakmoss is a difficult ingredient to miss because of its sheer potency. On the other hand, there have been so many other restrictions during the past few years that it's hard to say what might have forced a reformulation of Le Male. (Updateç coumarin appears to be the main culprit: "I can only assume it's the recent IFRA-induced restriction on coumarin that has dulled Le Male's edge. Coumarin contributes to the fragrance's powdery, vanillic, barbershoppy vibe and huge sillage, and Le Male is (was?) a coumarin bomb, up there with Versace Dreamer.")

Boellis Panama 1924 is said to be strikingly similar to the original Le Male (more so than Reflection Man or any others), but more refined. One of the reviewers I trust most rated this highly. Samples are available at First In Fragrance.

https://www.ausliebezumduft.de/boellis-p...lette.html

For a cheaper option, I've heard great things about Mont Blanc Presence. I don't generally tend towards cheaper modern fragrances (most of them go heavy on the synthetic musks), but this may be an option worth looking into.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2017 7:52 PM by Ekscentra.)
06-16-2017 7:22 PM

Share This Thread