Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A new book with big claims
jvkohl
Expert

Sex: Male

More "B" for Bubba
12-18-2009 3:32 PM

I'm concerned that Bubba may make another wrong impression on people who seek information about human pheromones. Perhaps a bit more history is warrented:

The Star War
by TogetherinParis January 26, 2007 12:05 PM PST
Star Wars is based on a 1963 novella, The Star War. It was my
favorite book read in childhood. Hi! I'm Bubba Nicholson, the guy
who invented "The Force" "The Training" "The Jedi" "Jedi Knights"
"Midi-chlorians", etc. I'm also the source for the stories used in
Episodes I, II, & III. Delegation after delegation of story-hunters,
not just those of Mr. Lucas, have brought back many trophies. I
even proposed the terms for George's divorce!
For this I am confined, impoverished, and dissolute. Does anyone
at Lucasfilm have ANY gratitude at all?
https://news.cnet.com/Lucasfilm-gets-fan...65187.html
12-18-2009 3:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tisha
Inactive Account

Sex: Female

Rep Post

RE: A new book with big claims
12-26-2009 5:16 AM

Quote:I'm concerned that Bubba may make another wrong impression on people who seek information about human pheromones. Perhaps a bit more history is warrented:

Tell me about it, the man is a concern and been a problem on the net in many forums. In the world of pheromones where everything is not black and white it really can give a bad impression to people just learning about them. He can come across as fairly intelligent and you dont realize he has problems unless you dig.

Just some of his forum claims

https://www.techdirt.com/profile.php?u=togetherinparis
12-26-2009 5:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jvkohl
Expert

One or more "Bubba's"
12-26-2009 11:12 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

February 2007 from another Forum. "Science Debate"

A moderator applauds Bubba's integrity as a scientist. The discussion begins with excerpts from posts that are now missing (i.e., apparently deleted). The discussion degrades to one about my behavior on the other Forum and I write "Here we have anonymous folk claiming to be either authorities, or people whose opinions should be held in higher regard than a well-known, self-identified (from the [other] Forum's inception) clinical laboratory scientist who has published on the topic several times during the past 15 years."

The discussion ends on February 21, 2007 after the Forum owner's comments, which include -- with my emphasis:

Bubba is obviously the superior scientist. I think we could all learn a lot about real science under his tutelage."  

See: https://www.pherolibrary.com/forum/showt...hp?t=17357

Whether the "Bubba" above is the same Bubba who identifies himself as the author of what appears to be a rather bizarre new book, is unknown and of lesser concern to me than are marketing claims that fail to allow potential buyers to verify the claims. For example: "as seen on TV" is as meaningless as "I discovered____", unless you know something about the scientific validity of what was seen on TV, or the scientific validity of the discovery. The same thing applies for products that have undisclosed active ingredients (i.e., "human pheromones").

To add contrast to comments by the "Bubba's" of the world, and to add background that might help others to evaluate any marketing claims, I note that in the latter months of 2007 I received notice of an award from the Foundation for the Scientific Study of Sexuality that is given annually for the best social science article, chapter, or book published in the previous year in which theoretical explanations of human sexual attitudes and behaviors are developed. "The Mind's Eyes: Human Pheromones, Neuroscience, and Male Sexual Preferences" was published in the Journal of Psychology & Human Sexuality, 18(4): 313-369, and concurrently published as a book chapter in the "Handbook of the Evolution of Human Sexuality." In conjunction with the award, I was an invited plenary session speaker at the annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality. This information can be validated by a simple internet search.

If Forum members here are interested in how human pheromones influence human sexuality, they can participate with little concern for censure (post deletions), or concern for being banned from Forum participation merely for expressing their opinions.

My personal thanks to all of those involved in the "open conversation" on the PheroTruth Forum.

James V. Kohl

author/creator: The Scent of Eros

http://www.pheromones.com

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2009 11:13 AM by jvkohl.)
12-26-2009 11:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tisha
Inactive Account

Rep Post

12-27-2009 1:46 PM

Dont waste your buck you can pretty much get the whole gist of the book here.  The mans background in other areas has tainted ever taking any of his ideals seriously. Plus he copied most stuff from others and has no real research of his own.  I cant find any listing for nicholson labs.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=l8K9h4P...OF&f=false

My advice if your gonna spend money on a book get Jame's Scent of Eros.  I can guarentee he has all his marbles ;) 

Tisha  

12-27-2009 1:46 PM
jvkohl
Expert

12-27-2009 2:05 PM

(12-27-2009 1:46 PM)Tisha Wrote:  My advice if your gonna spend money on a book get Jame's Scent of Eros.  I can guarentee he has all his marbles ;)  Tisha

Thanks, Tisha. I wish that I could guarantee this on an ongoing basis, but my marbles may be a here today, and gone tomorrow phenomena. For now, Bubba appears to be a worst case scenario with regards to his skewed perspective. But my colleague Richard Doty might be about to say that I am another worst case scenario.

Actually, we joked about this when he told me of his book (linked below). Now that we have unpublished results on human pheromones affecting women's behavior, it will even more interesting to read what he has to say in The Great Pheromone Myth. The title suggests that what we have shown, is not possible. On the other hand, he may merely be saying that marketers need to tone down their claims, as he and I have discussed.

In either case, he may have all his ducks in a row, but I can probably knock them out of place with whatever marbles I have left.

https://www.sensonics.com/shop/pc/viewPr...37#details

JVK

Scentoferos.com

12-27-2009 2:05 PM

Login or register to remove all advertising

Niatalya
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

02-14-2010 4:39 AM

This book is available for free on Goggle Books, I have not looked at it, but if anyone is interested enjoy.
https://books.google.com/books?q=OF+LOVE...arch+Books

When you first open the book many pages are missing from the preview but if you click on the front cover book icon in the top left hand corner all pages are available for some reason. It's interesting that only the author has reviewed this book on Google and Amazon!
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2010 4:48 AM by Niatalya.)
02-14-2010 4:39 AM
tangent
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

02-14-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:Hi everybody, my name is Bubba Nicholson and I'm the author of this book, Of Love . My lab has been able to cure criminal behavior, drug addiction, and homosexual behavior outright.

Stopped reading right after this sentence to be honest. Cure homosexuality? I wasn't aware it was a disease.
02-14-2010 10:41 AM
Mtnjim
Curmudgen

Rep Post

02-16-2010 2:53 PM

(02-14-2010 10:41 AM)tangent Wrote:  Stopped reading right after this sentence to be honest. Cure homosexuality? I wasn't aware it was a disease.

Quote:The Cure for Homosexual Perversion
. As soon as I saw that, I was ROFLMAO https://pherotruth.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods.
---Lazerous Long
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2010 2:54 PM by Mtnjim.)
02-16-2010 2:53 PM
Gone with the Wind
Pheromone Wraith

Rep Post

02-17-2010 9:43 AM

(12-27-2009 2:05 PM)jvkohl Wrote:  

... my colleague Richard Doty might be about to say that I am another worst case scenario.

Actually, we joked about this when he told me of his book (linked below). Now that we have unpublished results on human pheromones affecting women's behavior, it will even more interesting to read what he has to say in The Great Pheromone Myth. The title suggests that what we have shown, is not possible. On the other hand, he may merely be saying that marketers need to tone down their claims, as he and I have discussed.

In either case, he may have all his ducks in a row, but I can probably knock them out of place with whatever marbles I have left.

https://www.sensonics.com/shop/pc/viewPr...37#details

JVK

Scentoferos.com

Leaving aside the quandary concerning the marble content of Mr. Kohl's noggin, Mr. Doty apparently makes some interesting assertions.

Quote:In this provocative book, renowned olfaction expert Richard L. Doty rejects this idea and states bluntly that, in contrast to insects, mammals do not have pheromones. Doty systematically debunks the claims and conclusions of studies that purport to reveal the existence of mammalian pheromones. He demonstrates that there is no generally accepted scientific definition of what constitutes a mammalian pheromone and that attempts to divide stimuli and complex behaviors into pheromonal and nonpheromonal categories have primarily failed.

Although it is doubtful that Mr. Doty would deny the ability of a male dog to sense a bitch in heat via olfactory cues, he would probably argue to the end of his tenure on what such cues should properly be called. Such arguements are primarily of use to academics, and then primarily a specialized subspecies of academics with nothing better to do.

Gone with the Wind

<p align="center">Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate. Bodhi svaha!</p>
02-17-2010 9:43 AM
jvkohl
Expert

02-17-2010 6:50 PM

I've read a few pages of the book, and hope that others here will get the chance to read it and comment. Doty's gone to a lot of trouble just to argue definitions, and I hope he does more than that.

I started using the term olfactory/pheromonal stimuli in publications several years ago, as did others either before or after. At the same time I addressed the requirements for both a hormone and behavioral response. I'm waiting to see if Doty brings his perspective up-to-date, and hope that he will do so.

He doesn't mention any of my works, even though he was at one or more of the conferences where our most recent results were presented.

James V. Kohl
http://www.pheromones.com

(02-17-2010 9:43 AM)Gone with the Wind Wrote:  Although it is doubtful that Mr. Doty would deny the ability of a male dog to sense a bitch in heat via olfactory cues, he would probably argue to the end of his tenure on what such cues should properly be called. Such arguements are primarily of use to academics, and then primarily a specialized subspecies of academics with nothing better to do.
02-17-2010 6:50 PM

Login or register to remove all advertising

Share This Thread