Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Truffles as Pheromone putatives
Paradox
The Living Legend

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: Truffles as Pheromone putatives
07-27-2017 1:45 PM

(07-27-2017 12:57 PM)Ekscentra Wrote:  No user on these boards has been able to reproduce those results. It's not inconceivable that the bulb droppers being purchased by vendors and users alike are built to a different standard.

Huh? When you squeeze a bulb dropper you get 1 drop (0.05 mL)

(07-27-2017 12:57 PM)Ekscentra Wrote:  Let us additionally assume that a swipe is half a drop rather than the 1/4th drop more commonly cited.

Really?

(07-27-2017 12:57 PM)Ekscentra Wrote:  At 3mL, that comes out to 160 applications.

Truffe Noire 1ml Artisanal Attar By Sultan Pasha is 1ml. It says 1ml in the title.

You are killing me my friend

(07-27-2017 12:57 PM)Ekscentra Wrote:  Finally, let us assume that two sprays is a typical application of Clive Christian or Roja Dove fragrance, which at 50mL comes out to 200 applications per bottle (assuming 0.125mL per spray, a common number for most sprayer types).

We were talking cost per drop. Not per spray.

(07-27-2017 12:57 PM)Ekscentra Wrote:  Even by the most generous measurements and without taking ingredient quality into consideration, the aforementioned attars are in fact a better value than either Clive Christian No. 1 or Roja Dove after adjusting for potency. I wanted to clear this up for those interested in testing.

The bottom line is that after all of this Truffe Noire 1ml Artisanal Attar By Sultan Pasha is still $3.25 per drop.

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."--- Vince Lombardi
07-27-2017 1:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Login or register to remove all advertising

Ekscentra

Rep Post

07-27-2017 2:32 PM

(07-27-2017 1:45 PM)Paradox Wrote:  Huh? When you squeeze a bulb dropper you get 1 drop (0.05 mL)

Again, none of the members on this board have been able to measure out 20 drops per mL using a bulb dropper. I believe dexter and NP17 found 45-50 drops to be closer to the mark. I've found similar numbers with my own bulb droppers. I previously believed as you do, but according to you, 200 drops should fill an entire 10mL bottle - this has not been the case for me. With 200 drops, my own bulb dropper bottles are less than halfway full. Those numbers simply don't apply in any universal sense - it entirely depends on the dropper being used. Some may put out drops closer to 0.05mL, others may be closer to 0.02mL.

(07-27-2017 1:45 PM)Paradox Wrote:  Really?

These are merely estimates. A "swipe" is not a real measurement.

(07-27-2017 1:45 PM)Paradox Wrote:  Truffe Noire 1ml Artisanal Attar By Sultan Pasha is 1ml. It says 1ml in the title.

You are killing me my friend

I never suggested otherwise. 3mL is the other size in which these attars are available, and is a closer estimate to a 50mL bottle.

(07-27-2017 1:45 PM)Paradox Wrote:  We were talking cost per drop. Not per spray.

The bottom line is that after all of this Truffe Noire 1ml Artisanal Attar By Sultan Pasha is still $3.25 per drop.

Very few to no EdPs or EdTs would be used by the drop. They're measured in sprays. This is a common mistake I see both here and on Basenotes. When comparing value, it's crucial to take concentration into consideration. If 80% of users found Clive Christian to work well using 3-4 sprays while half a drop is a typical application for Sultan Pasha's attars, then it's more likely than not that the former will be used up more quickly than the latter. Similarly, one can't directly compare oil and spray-based pheromone products without taking concentration into concentration. Going by this line of reasoning, PheromoneXS sprays should be considered a superior value to their oils, yet the consensus is universally in favor of oil-based products. While their sprays may be cheaper on a per-drop basis, it makes little difference when a typical application for a spray-based product is 1-2 sprays while an oil-based product calls for 1-2 drops. For this reason, I don't see the point in comparing two completely different products as though they're one to one. The reality is that you simply wouldn't be using them the same way.
07-27-2017 2:32 PM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

07-27-2017 4:31 PM

Okay, first of all the actual volume of a drop will vary greatly from one liquid to another, depending on the viscosity of the liquid, the temperature, the solution, surface tension, etc., so trying to cite the exact number of drops a given dispenser will yield per given volume is an impossibility, and this entire argument is futile!

The 20 drops per ML that Paradox cites I believe is used in the Pharmaceutical industry, however, in medicine IV drips are generally calculated at 10, 15, 20 or 60 drops per ML.

To muddy it up even further a metric conversion calculator indicates there are 15.4 drops to a ML, and wikipedia lists this:

wikipedia Wrote:The volume of a drop is not well-defined: it depends on the device and technique used to produce the drop and on the physical properties of the fluid. This is similar to units like the cup, tablespoon, and teaspoon that depend on the spoon or cup.

There are several exact definitions of a "drop":

the "metric" drop, 1/20 mL (50 μL).
the medical drop, 1/12 mL (83 1/3 μL).
the Imperial drop, 1/36 of a fluidram (1/288 of an Imperial fluid ounce, or 1/1440 of a gill) (approximately 99 μL).
an alternate, possibly apocryphal, definition of the drop is 1/1824 of a gill (approximately 78 μL).
the U.S. drop, 1/60 of a teaspoon or 1/360 of a U.S. fluid ounce (approximately 82 μL).
an alternate definition of the U.S. drop is 1/76 of a teaspoon or 1/456 US fl oz (approximately 65 μL).
According to Webster dictionary, "drop" indicates the smallest volume of a liquid that may be measured. The size of drop may vary with the viscosity of the liquid.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
07-27-2017 4:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrChocolate
Learner and observer

Rep Post

07-27-2017 7:02 PM

(07-27-2017 2:32 PM)Ekscentra Wrote:  I previously believed as you do, but according to you, 200 drops should fill an entire 10mL bottle - this has not been the case for me. With 200 drops, my own bulb dropper bottles are less than halfway full. Those numbers simply don't apply in any universal sense - it entirely depends on the dropper being used. Some may put out drops closer to 0.05mL, others may be closer to 0.02mL.

(07-27-2017 4:31 PM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  Okay, first of all the actual volume of a drop will vary greatly from one liquid to another, depending on the viscosity of the liquid, the temperature, the solution, surface tension, etc., so trying to cite the exact number of drops a given dispenser will yield per given volume is an impossibility, and this entire argument is futile!

I second both of these statement thru me own experience. I've realized this with isopropyl alchohol vs coconut oil. The measurements (in this case drops) I started with were the same amounts but the length of the liquid inside the bottle were different. (With the same size pipettes). Coconut oil had a slightly taller length compared to isopropyl alchohol.

Like Mark said, the viscosity plays the part. Which is why these days, instead of trying to get an accurate amount, I just eye ball it.

In this science, it's hard to say 1 + 1 = 2. It could results 1.9 to A and it could result 2.1 to B. It's hard to universalize it. Plus there's different size pipettes. The pipettes in me dropper bottle yield a completely different drop compared to the pipette in me Iso E Super bottle as the Iso E pipette is bigger.
(07-27-2017 12:24 PM)Spider-mone Wrote:  Respectfully .... What i want to know is .... how much wood can a woodchuck chuck ? I'm sure you know !! Should i pm you for the answer ???

I just had to say. Lol. This made me laugh Spidey. Smile

+1 for a good laugh.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2017 7:04 PM by DrChocolate.)
07-27-2017 7:02 PM

Share This Thread