Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The smell of personality
jvkohl
Expert

Sex: Male

The smell of personality
04-04-2013 2:22 AM

Can You Smell Personality? By Scott Barry Kaufman | April 3, 2013 |

Excerpt: According to the researchers, this suggests that "judgements of dominance based on body odour might be especially important in a mating context."

My comment:
Le Vay (2011) Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
p. 210 "This model is attractive in that it solves the "binding problem" of sexual attraction. By that I mean the problem of why all the different features of men or women (visual appearance and feel of face, body, and genitals; voice quality, smell; personality and behavior, etc.) attract people as a more or less coherent package representing one sex, rather than as an arbitrary collage of male and female characteristics. If all these characteristics come to be attractive because they were experienced in association with a male- or female-specific pheromone, then they will naturally go together even in the absence of complex genetically coded instructions."

Kohl (2012) "The concept that is extended is the epigenetic tweaking of immense gene networks in "˜superorganisms' (Lockett, Kucharski, & Maleszka, 2012) that "˜solve problems through the exchange and the selective cancellation and modification of signals (Bear, 2004, p. 330)'. It is now clearer how an environmental drive probably evolved from that of food ingestion in unicellular organisms to that of socialization in insects. It is also clear that, in mammals, food odors and pheromones cause changes in hormones such as LH, which has developmental affects on sexual behavior in nutrient-dependent, reproductively fit individuals across species of vertebrates."

Kohl, J.V. (2012) Human pheromones and food odors: epigenetic influences on the socioaffective nature of evolved behaviors. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 2: 17338. DOI: 10.3402/snp.v2i0.17338.

James V. Kohl
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (ASCLS)
Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP)
Medical Technologist (AMT)
Author/Creator: The Scent of Eros
04-04-2013 2:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Androaura
Walking Pheromone Cloud

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: The smell of personality
04-04-2013 3:48 PM

(04-04-2013 2:22 AM)jvkohl Wrote:  Can You Smell Personality? By Scott Barry Kaufman | April 3, 2013 |

Excerpt: According to the researchers, this suggests that "judgements of dominance based on body odour might be especially important in a mating context."

My comment:
Le Vay (2011) Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
p. 210 "This model is attractive in that it solves the "binding problem" of sexual attraction. By that I mean the problem of why all the different features of men or women (visual appearance and feel of face, body, and genitals; voice quality, smell; personality and behavior, etc.) attract people as a more or less coherent package representing one sex, rather than as an arbitrary collage of male and female characteristics. If all these characteristics come to be attractive because they were experienced in association with a male- or female-specific pheromone, then they will naturally go together even in the absence of complex genetically coded instructions."

Kohl (2012) "The concept that is extended is the epigenetic tweaking of immense gene networks in "˜superorganisms' (Lockett, Kucharski, & Maleszka, 2012) that "˜solve problems through the exchange and the selective cancellation and modification of signals (Bear, 2004, p. 330)'. It is now clearer how an environmental drive probably evolved from that of food ingestion in unicellular organisms to that of socialization in insects. It is also clear that, in mammals, food odors and pheromones cause changes in hormones such as LH, which has developmental affects on sexual behavior in nutrient-dependent, reproductively fit individuals across species of vertebrates."

Kohl, J.V. (2012) Human pheromones and food odors: epigenetic influences on the socioaffective nature of evolved behaviors. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 2: 17338. DOI: 10.3402/snp.v2i0.17338.

I always find the research you post on here quite fascinating.

It definitely is a great thing to have access to such information on these boards.

Looking forward to looking into this.

Thank you for the links.

Journal:
The J(ournal) of Aura

Current Pheromone Products Owned:
Alpha Dreams: Alfa Maschio: My Rating - 7/10 & Fast Burn Glace (Light Silicone): My Rating - 8/10
Love Scent: Androstadienone (Full Strength): My Rating - 9/10

Wishlist:
Wolf, Aqua Vitae, L2K, Corporativo, NPA
04-04-2013 3:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does personality smell? jvkohl 12 7,534 12-08-2011 12:35 AM
Last Post: 2Soon2Care