Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with facebook connect Facebook, or Windows Live

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The pheromonal effect of saffron
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1480
Thanks received:
1324 thanks in 676 posts

The pheromonal effect of saffron
02-04-2013 4:48 PM

I haven't had the chance to dig into the active ingredient in Saffron responsible for this effect. I don't know if the active ingredient is even known. But I thought the following might be relevant to some people's interests.

As I understand it, estradiol is a direct breakdown product of testosterone, and women exposed to saffron produced more estradiol regardless of where they were in the cycle. But they made less cortisol. Since androstadienone also helps with PMS, but it seems like it lowers Testosterone by upregulation of cortisol production this seems to suggest that one critical aspect in helping with PMS might be lowering testosterone rather than raising cortisol, specifically. Does that seem like a valid interpretation?

That seems reinforced by the notion that androstenone may worsen the symptoms of some women with PMS.

The next big question would be; why do some women have bad PMS and others don't?

Quote:Our results indicate that saffron odor exert some effects in the treatment of PMS, dysmenorrhea and irregular menstruation. This is the first report to suggest that saffron odor may be effective in treating menstrual distress.

Psychological and neuroendocrinological effects of odor of saffron (Crocus sativus).

Thirty-five women with a normal sense of smell were exposed to saffron odor for 20 min. Saliva samples were then collected to measure levels of cortisol ©, testosterone (T) and 17-β estradiol (E) by enzyme immunoassay, and the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) was administered as a psychological test.
RESULTS:

Saffron odor significantly decreased C levels after short-term stimulation (20 min) in both follicular and luteal phases. E level after exposure to saffron odor was increased in both the follicular- and luteal-phase groups. STAI score decreased in the follicular and luteal phases in the saffron group.
CONCLUSIONS:

The present findings support the existence of physiological and psychological effects of saffron odor in women. Our results indicate that saffron odor exert some effects in the treatment of PMS, dysmenorrhea and irregular menstruation. This is the first report to suggest that saffron odor may be effective in treating menstrual distress.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21242071

[Image: Example.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 4:52 PM by wiserd.)
02-04-2013 4:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by thundr, LL21, eibmoz, Isis
Login or register to remove all advertising

downtown
Checking out the place

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks received:
0 thanks in 0 posts

RE: The pheromonal effect of saffron
03-15-2013 7:15 AM

So would saffaron scented cologne be a good idea?
03-15-2013 7:15 AM
fluffygirl12
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 396
Thanks received:
404 thanks in 218 posts

03-15-2013 8:05 AM

I've been taking Saffron Extract for weight control lately , since I have been going through a very stressful time at work and it helps control the stress-eating/ snacking . I notice that it calms me down and relieves anxiety quite a bit within an hour . Saffron in Persian Cuisine is a known mood enhancer , and I have also read that it works as a mild serotonin uptake inhibitor .
This all refers to ingesting Saffron Extract supplements , or using the actual Saffron as a spice in food . I don't know if just inhaling Saffron scent would affect me .

Cheers Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 8:06 AM by fluffygirl12.)
03-15-2013 8:05 AM
Thanks given by wiserd, Isis
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1480
Thanks received:
1324 thanks in 676 posts

03-15-2013 9:05 AM

(03-15-2013 7:15 AM)downtown Wrote:  So would saffaron scented cologne be a good idea?

My big thing to was to try and figure out why androstadienone was good for PMS and why it caused depression. I wanted to possibly show that it did both those things for different reasons so we could tease one effect from another.

fluffygirl12 brings in some new issues I hadn't considered. I'll have to read up more when I have a chance.

Saffron scented cologne would be a long shot, but if you found some and were willing to test it, that would certainly be interesting. If you get 'saffron scented' cologne it's impossible to tell if the scent has the active ingredient (or ingredients) we're looking for. And if it does have that active ingredient, we still don't know if that molecule can act pheromonally. If both of these things were true, the stuff would probably be more on the social side than sexual - something worn to counteract PMS or calm things down rather than something you'd use for a wild romp. That's just my slightly educated guess.

I don't know offhand what extra estradiol would do. I'm also not sure how this stuff would impact men, who sometimes have different reactions than women.

[Image: Example.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 9:06 AM by wiserd.)
03-15-2013 9:05 AM

Share This Thread
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Special Issue: Comparative biology of pheromonal communication in vertebrates jvkohl 0 881 10-05-2010 10:37 PM
Last Post: jvkohl
  Pheromonal Influences On The Sociosexual Behavior Of Men Tisha 1 892 08-14-2009 10:07 PM
Last Post: jvkohl
  Pheromonal influences on sociosexual behavior in men. Tisha 0 507 08-14-2009 7:38 PM
Last Post: Tisha