Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

The Cord Cutters Thread
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

The Cord Cutters Thread
03-20-2019 10:35 AM

So, as the title indicates, this thread is for discussions about cutting the cord: whether that be Cable TV, Satellite, Fiber, or any other iteration or offering from the blood sucking network television providers.

I'd had DirecTV for over 16 years and I would have probably had stuck with them forever, that is until the piece of shit baby Bell company now called AT&T got their grubby ass paws into them and turned it into shit!

I finally took a good hard look at what I was getting for the $100+ that I'd been paying them every month and realized that I was only watching a couple of channels that I couldn't get over the air, and of those I was only really interested in a grand total of 6 programs.

So, I started looking at other options. I'd been using Plex for watching movies for several years and did have the Plex Pass, which for about $5 a month would allow me to hookup a tuner and watch and record live TV shows, so I did try going that route. I bought an indoor antenna, a Silicon Dust 4 tuner Homerun Quatro, which worked pretty well, but Plex didn't have a TV Guide, and wouldn't allow me to customize it very much.

Next I tried Kodi, which was free and offered pretty much everything that Plex had and a whole lot more, but I couldn't install it on my NAS, they didn't have an app for my LG TV, and there were several other things that I didn't like much about it either.

Next I tried Emby, which turned out to be the perfect, or at least almost perfect solution for me. Emby Premiere costs the same $5 per month as the Plex Pass. It had an app for my TV, would install on my NAS, plays movies, live TV, music, has DVR functionality and does have a TV Guide.

Beyond that, with Emby you can add multiple tuners, and iptv providers, as well as customized channel listings and TV Guide Data.

Emby gave me pretty much everything that I wanted, but still wasn't exactly what I was looking for. What I ended up going with was a TIVO Bolt for over the air TV, and Emby for everything else. I got the box from TIVO directly at a discounted price of $199, and the service subscription runs me $70 per year.

I also signed on to Vader Streams IPTV service for $15 a month, which gives me a shit ton of channels, including every channel that I had with DirecTV, plus HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Movie Channel, and just about every other premium channel there is.

Then, I signed up with iptv-epg.com for their TV Guide data for $24 a year, because I didn't need or want anywhere near all of the channels I was getting from Vaders, but couldn't easily modify the channel lineup or remove channels from the TV guide, and iptv-epg would allow me to do so.

So, all in all I cut my costs way the hell down and was able to free myself from the blood sucking leach that is AT&T, I have far more programming than I had before, and the picture actually looks better OTA that it did on satellite.

So, my setup: TIVO, Emby, Vader Streams, iptv-epg, a WD NAS and an LG LV. What are you folks using?

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
03-20-2019 10:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MMM

Rep Post

RE: The Cord Cutters Thread
03-20-2019 11:27 AM

I'm looking into doing away with cable.

NCIS, CRIMINAL MINDS and SPORTS plus all the other channels I do NOT watch + Internet is costing me 198.00 a month. Working with Kodi now. As soon as I become comfortable with it, the cable cord will be cut! ;-)

Mucho thanks!! Girl witch

I am MORE than a sausage with feet, but you, Miss, since you're sexy, you can treat me as such if you want! ALL NIGHT LONG!! Preved
03-20-2019 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
metaltree

Rep Post

RE: The Cord Cutters Thread
03-20-2019 11:33 AM

Yup, cable/Satellite is a complete ripoff because they force you to buy a ton of channels you don't want. I only get high speed internet from my cable provider with no television and no telephone. I use Ooma's "free" internet phone service for my home phone. It costs about 5 bucks a month for taxes though which isn't too bad. I had to pay about 80 bucks for the device initially but it was worth it. The device also acts like an old fashioned digital answering machine when you get a voicemail.

I use Amazon Prime for movies/TV since I pay for it anyway for shipping. I have an AppleTV set top box and most of my TV watching is Youtube with the appleTV youtube App. If I want to watch a movie that isn't on Amazon Prime, I just rent it from Apple. The only sporting event I really care about is the Superbowl and they stream that for free every year. If I really want to watch a game I'll go to a sports bar although I haven't been that interested in sports for a while. When Game of Thrones comes I pay $15 bucks a month for HBO now and cancel it when the season is over.

If I ever decide to get TV service, I'd probably get the YouTube TV service for $40 bucks a month but I don't bother because I wouldn't watch it.
03-20-2019 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread