Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with facebook connect Facebook, or Windows Live

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sprayers, Scales, and Syringes
Fly So Hi
Jr. Researcher

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1524
Thanks received:
827 thanks in 428 posts

RE: Sprayers, Scales, and Syringes
03-13-2012 4:52 PM

(03-13-2012 1:40 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  I like the button system. Ought to make it cost less too, in addition to saving some time programming. It might need 2 stops per bottle though: one to pick up the pipette tip from some holder near the bottle, and one to actually interact with the bottle itself.

Good point, a tip holder near each bottle on the grid.

(03-13-2012 1:40 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  I'm thinking the main linear actuator design comes first in importance, then design for interacting with the bottle (raising/lowering said main linear actuator) and expelling the liquid into the mix bottle, then lastly transporting from concentrate to concentrate.

I was thinking the same thing!

(03-13-2012 1:40 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  Cool! About how many would you think we would need? I still think this would be a very final touch, but no reason to rule it out if it isn't difficult or expensive.

Enough to cover about a quarter of the grid's surface, i think. Check this video, they can get to 2.5 ºF

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3x-wxLEfLEQ&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" style="background:url(images/midnight/jump.gif) no-repeat right bottom;padding-right:13px;">http://www.youtube.com/v/3x-wxLEfLEQ&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1</a>

(03-13-2012 1:40 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  ...I notice it still has a small bubble when I use my 28 guage syringes with alcohol, but that may just be from the dead space and just from using inferior equipment in general.

Very likely the empty space. This problem goes away with pipettes/tips.

(03-13-2012 1:40 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  I meant more just whether it would be physically able to reach a place to touch the drop of liquid to.

Now you got me thinking. Very well observerd. Maybe extra pressure for the small ammounts, so it squirts the concentrate. We'll have a problem if it sprays instead of squirts... I'll think of something.

(03-13-2012 1:40 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  In both cases, it should be very easy in future designs to add more mix bottles at a time, so that if you're making 2 different mixes at once which both include the same molecule, it doesn't have to rotate the rotary (or go around the track) again for each extra mix bottle. That way it could make 2 mixes in one trip and only make 1 stop per bottle.

I know what you mean, and that's a good idea, i just think we gotta walk before we can run. Let's focus the basics first to keep it simple and practicable.

(03-13-2012 1:40 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  Wouldn't it work better to go from lightest and thinnest to heaviest and thickest? That way the heavier stuff has to sink through the lighter stuff to get to the bottom and would have a greater tendency to seperate and be dilluted and would do so more quickly than if it was sitting on the bottom below the lighter stuff. So wouldn't it work better to go: 1st alcohol, 2nd fixative, 3rd molecules? Probably isn't a huge deal, but just my thoughts.

I usually mix the components in this particular order because a more viscous component like DPG evaporates much slower than Alcohol, for example. The moment i add alcohol to DPG, the alcohol is already "fixed", so it will evaporate less, not spoiling the measures.

Here's the drawing i wanted to show you:

[Image: mscgu0.png]

Fig. 1 - The light grey part is the top layer.

Fig. 2 - The dark grey cover is the middle layer, between the top layer (grid) and the bottom layer (tube with liquid). It slids back revealling the liquid inside the tube.
(03-13-2012 1:48 PM)gentlmentlemen Wrote:  Also, do you know of any cheap or free CAD type programs we could possibly use to share designs?

I'll google something.

FSH
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2012 4:53 PM by Fly So Hi.)
03-13-2012 4:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by gentlmentlemen
Login or register to remove all advertising

Share This Thread
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sprayers, Scales, and Syringes - Fly So Hi - 03-13-2012 4:52 PM