Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Search function is finicky!
hut
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

Search function is finicky!
08-08-2019 8:23 AM

Search function is nit-picky, at least for me! 2 odd things I've noticed so far:

1- If I search something and then go back to search something else right away it says I must wait 30 seconds between searches. I feel like search function doesn't like to be overworked and needs its rest - I can relate lol!

2- I just noticed it says I cannot search for something 3 characters or less, so things like 'm3x' are out.

Also sorry if this is wrong section for this, I think the Suggestions Section would've been better, but I dont have access to post there yet.
Edit: post moved by admin.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2019 8:43 AM by hut.)
08-08-2019 8:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

RE: Search function is finicky!
08-08-2019 8:46 AM

The search function has the 30 second limit between searches mainly to prevent bots from hogging server resources, and most forums with a search function have similar time requirements.

The 4 character minimum is to prevent words with "the" "and" "non" and otehr words that are frequently parts of a word from filling the search results page with completely irrelevant results.

The Google search will generally provide much better refined results, but equerries cannot easily be as narrowly defined as the forum search function.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
08-08-2019 8:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gladen
Pied Piper of Pickup

Rep Post

08-08-2019 8:52 AM

(08-08-2019 8:23 AM)hut Wrote:  Search function is nit-picky, at least for me! 2 odd things I've noticed so far:

Yes, it is extremely finicky

(08-08-2019 8:23 AM)hut Wrote:  1- If I search something and then go back to search something else right away it says I must wait 30 seconds between searches. I feel like search function doesn't like to be overworked and needs its rest - I can relate lol!
Actually the 30-second delay is not to make things more difficult on you, a real member, but to stop DDOS attacks, and other things spammers, bots, and miscreants might do to suck up bandwidth and prohibit the site from functioning.

I cannot begin to count the number of times I've done a search and gone back to refine terms to be told that I need to wait X more seconds. However, if it is the only cross one has to bear to keep the flying monkeys out, then so be it.

(08-08-2019 8:23 AM)hut Wrote:  2- I just noticed it says I cannot search for something 3 characters or less, so things like 'm3x' are out.

There are, again, anti-spammer and bot reasons for this, but it definitely does make and M3X or TLG, or NA search impossible. But mainly this is to stop a search such as "the" "my" "I" etc (extremely common words that you will find in almost every post) from bogging down the system and killing off resources. You'd get timeout errors, and all kinds of chaos.

Lots and lots of form fields are also, for security reasons, restricted in character usage, minimum and maximum characters, etc. This sometimes is a problem; for example a friend of mine is named Michael Wu and you'd be surprised how many Last Name fields have similar 3-character minimums.

For myself, I find that the search works best (for me) when I combine keywords rather than just search for each and every mention. "M3X review", etc.

Not only does this narrow it down to give me data on my questions, but it allows for the search to function properly.

Since this site is based on MyBB, you might be able to use wildcard characters and "or" and "not" designators as well, in the search parameters. I honestly don't know, as I haven't tried to use any yet, but I will.

Edited to add: Sorry to just echo what you said there Mark.

I had began to answer this and got pulled away for business (I hate how my business gets in the way of my social life!) and when I finished the post and submitted it, I discovered you had already answered with exactly what I was saying (only better)

Isn't Life Actually the Kobayashi Maru? Click to Read My Journal: Gladen's Grimoire
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2019 8:56 AM by Gladen.)
08-08-2019 8:52 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

08-08-2019 9:14 AM

(08-08-2019 8:52 AM)Gladen Wrote:  Since this site is based on MyBB, you might be able to use wildcard characters and "or" and "not" designators as well, in the search parameters. I honestly don't know, as I haven't tried to use any yet, but I will.

I don't think the myBB search functionality allows for inclusion or exclusion designations, but the Google search does.

BTW, were we to allow for 2 character searches, searching for NA would turn up 12 results just in this thread, and only 2 of those would actually be for Nude Alpha.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
08-08-2019 9:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Login or register to remove all advertising

hut
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

08-08-2019 10:23 AM

Geese, you guys know allot about tech. I won't pretend that I understand much of this specifically, but I do gather these parameters exist to protect and not slow down the site.

Im not a part of too many forums but I hadn't run into this before, so that's the only reason it struck me as odd. Maybe it is much more common then I've had experience with.

I really just thought everyone can search as much as they want and it would have no effect on the site -- like its all on our end. Thats probably naive now that I see what you guys are saying.

I see how things like "na" could be problematic, words like 'm3x' or 'tlg' probably less so.

Damn the bots! Who makes those things anyway and what is their purpose? Why would anyone create something to search a site so much? What do they gain?
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2019 10:42 AM by hut.)
08-08-2019 10:23 AM
Gladen
Pied Piper of Pickup

Rep Post

08-08-2019 1:40 PM

(08-08-2019 10:23 AM)hut Wrote:  Damn the bots! Who makes those things anyway and what is their purpose? Why would anyone create something to search a site so much? What do they gain?

Bots, injectors, and other little nasties aren't made to do searches, they probe websites looking for any weakness they can infiltrate (user-filled form fields such as contact-us pages, searches, sign up pages, and forum postings are the easiest targets as they allow user input) and exploit, either to crash and kill a server, take over its resources for their own uses, spread malware, or to steal useful user data.

75-90% of these are deployed or created by want-to-be hackers and their retarded script kiddie cousins. Those types are typically unskilled and are the online version of vandals and taggers...they do it just for kicks and bragging rights. Worst case they'll send out 1 million psam emails from your server, or install a bitcoin miner to steal your server resources and bandwidth.

The latter remaining types are the ones that can cause real damage. they'll mine your server for data, use exploits to take control of your server resources, farm client info to use against the clients, or destroy your site and reputation for your enemies (which is just about anyone you're competing against in the online world). Businesses employ these to kill off the competition, enemy countries use these techniques to worm into any computers that might hold sensitive data to give them an edge, and lots and lots do it to steal CCard numbers and bank account information to fund their activities.

they aren't doing random constant searches, they're probing for any weaknesses they can exploit to their advantage, or looking to shut you down for kicks.

Isn't Life Actually the Kobayashi Maru? Click to Read My Journal: Gladen's Grimoire
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2019 1:44 PM by Gladen.)
08-08-2019 1:40 PM
hut
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

08-08-2019 2:42 PM

(08-08-2019 1:40 PM)Gladen Wrote:  Bots, injectors, and other little nasties aren't made to do searches, they probe websites looking for any weakness they can infiltrate (user-filled form fields such as contact-us pages, searches, sign up pages, and forum postings are the easiest targets as they allow user input) and exploit, either to crash and kill a server, take over its resources for their own uses, spread malware, or to steal useful user data.

75-90% of these are deployed or created by want-to-be hackers and their retarded script kiddie cousins. Those types are typically unskilled and are the online version of vandals and taggers...they do it just for kicks and bragging rights. Worst case they'll send out 1 million psam emails from your server, or install a bitcoin miner to steal your server resources and bandwidth.

The latter remaining types are the ones that can cause real damage. they'll mine your server for data, use exploits to take control of your server resources, farm client info to use against the clients, or destroy your site and reputation for your enemies (which is just about anyone you're competing against in the online world). Businesses employ these to kill off the competition, enemy countries use these techniques to worm into any computers that might hold sensitive data to give them an edge, and lots and lots do it to steal CCard numbers and bank account information to fund their activities.

they aren't doing random constant searches, they're probing for any weaknesses they can exploit to their advantage, or looking to shut you down for kicks.

Thanks Gladen. This is really interesting and informative.
08-08-2019 2:42 PM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Subscribe to Thread function broken? 2Soon2Care 5 2,598 06-26-2011 4:26 PM
Last Post: mark-in-dallas