Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Request For Anyone That Wants To Help
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

Request For Anyone That Wants To Help
07-10-2010 7:57 PM

Hey everyone I just rebuilt my business website and I'd like your feedback as to which one looks better, if you're willing!

Here's a link to the old site: http://websitesdallas.com/oldsite and here's the new site: http://websitesdallas.com.

Which do you guys prefer?

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
07-10-2010 7:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
QuietGuy
Away
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

RE: Request From Anyone That Wants To Help
07-10-2010 10:35 PM

The new website is more eye catching to me, Mark, Yes I like the revolving gallery ring of webpage samples and the drop down tabs. It has overall well put together slick appearance. Cool
07-10-2010 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zeph
=]

Rep Post

07-11-2010 12:08 AM

I like the new one better. Seems more spread out.
The old one, the navigation on the left seems a bit... bland?
The new one though, might be a bit obscure because of the whole sample thing you have on there.
Just my 2 cents.
07-11-2010 12:08 AM
Phya
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

07-11-2010 5:47 AM

I like the new one too. The menu system is cleaner. I also like the concept of the revolving rings. However, I feel it is distracting and is too big of a barrier between the menu and the content (it takes up too much of the 'top fold'). I would suggest removing it from subsequent pages other than the main page (for the samples page I would rather have a grid of thumbnails with the names of the sites right underneath than having that revolving ring. Maybe you could rotate the ring so that it is vertical and place it to the side? That way you can still have the content right near the top. I felt like I had to read too much to get to the information I wanted, which was price and options/features. Other than that, it looks great and is an improvement over your old website.

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma... which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
-Steve Jobs
07-11-2010 5:47 AM
Login or register to remove all advertising

mark-in-dallas
Administrator

07-11-2010 6:22 AM

Thanks guys, I think I will play with the Gallery and see about placing it in a sidebar.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
07-11-2010 6:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tezza23
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

07-11-2010 9:53 AM

I preferred the first, the rotating ring of webpages on the second was distracting and I was not clear on what it was supposed to do or represent. The first may have been bland, but I instantly knew what I was looking at.

Also, I'd reverse the order of the first two paragraphs in the sales pitch. That way, the first para sets up the problem and then you tell them what the solution is.
07-11-2010 9:53 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

07-11-2010 11:41 AM

OK, I've taken the gellery suggestions into consideration and moved it into a collapsable sidebar on the Home page and taken it out of the other pages, except for the Portfolio page. I do like it better, what do you guys think?

And, I'm not sure what paragrpahs you're referring to Tezza? If you are talking about the first 2 paragraphs on the Home Page, I think I've got to tell people what we do, before telling them why we do it.

07-11-2010 11:41 AM
JAYCEE
Serious Poster

Rep Post

07-11-2010 1:33 PM

The old site didn't open for me.

I like the graphics on the new site.

I think there is way too much plain text. If I were looking for this kind of service, I'd like for you to show me what you can do right on your own homepage.

Maybe break up all of that plain text with some sidebars, post-it notes, bright-idea-type light bulbs, etc.

A good proof-read helps too. I didn't read the text, but typos do jump out at me when I read. City comma state should be city comma state comma. (Dallas, Texas,)

I never knew that web design was so local. I guess it makes sense, though.

Good luck with your site!
07-11-2010 1:33 PM
Login or register to remove all advertising

esmeralda
The Phero Faerie

Sex: Female

Rep Post

07-11-2010 10:15 PM

Nice!

The new website all the way, it's superb! Curtsey

The rotating mini webpages on the left add an excellent visual effect! I think it would look a lot nicer if there is more white space between the mini web pages... because it looks a little crowded/cluttered with the reflection below. With more white space, it will be easier for your clients to see each page right to the point without getting distracted. You can still use the reflection if you want but maybe a bit smaller/paler? I think it's not needed because there are much more dazzling stuff in your website designs already.

Text-wise, it's placed on the perfect spot, but it would look more systematic if you aligned it underneath - either "Additional Services" or "Website Repairs"...

When I placed my mouse over "Website Design"... it seems like the vector part of the scrolldown menu is aligned to the "W", however... it would look fantastic if the scrolldown is centered and the "Basic websites...Flash Designs...Medical web...etc." are aligned right underneath "Website Design" tab... Same thing with the "Additional Services" tab.

The "Call Me" could be right above "Dallas Website Design" or below all the text. Below would be better though. When it's at the right of the page tight-framing the text, it could look like an Ad (that we usually ignore) when it's aligned to the left with the text it's easier to see that it's not a random ad.

"© 2004 - 2010 Dallas Website Design (214) 699-1790" would look better at the far left or aligned with your text block.

"To hide the web design gallery, click HERE" could look more systematic if aligned underneath the "Home" tab.

Otherwise, very very nice, I love your color palette. The WWW at the top left with beaming lights/shadow is friggin cool!! Love it. I was just looking at your website gallery, you've got a lot of amazing stuff there Eek woah!! Buba
07-11-2010 10:15 PM
tezza23
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

07-12-2010 1:18 AM

(07-11-2010 11:41 AM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  And, I'm not sure what paragrpahs you're referring to Tezza? If you are talking about the first 2 paragraphs on the Home Page, I think I've got to tell people what we do, before telling them why we do it.

Yes, that's what I mean. I've studied copywriting a bit, and generally you need to get them personally involved right from the first word. So tell them that they have a problem, then how you can help. As it is, you tell them you do website design but it may not be clear why it is important to them.

So instead it would be something like, "Your customers can't find you if you are not on the web!" (problem), then: "We can build a website for you" (solution).
07-12-2010 1:18 AM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Google's response to little girls request mark-in-dallas 0 951 06-20-2014 2:44 PM
Last Post: mark-in-dallas
  A request for help... halo0073 28 7,581 03-17-2012 7:56 AM
Last Post: Fly So Hi