Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with facebook connect Facebook, or Windows Live

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Relationship between stress and efficacy
thundr
calm like a bomb

Sex: Male

Thanks Given: 2991
Thanks received:
5447 thanks in 986 posts

RE: Relationship between stress and efficacy
05-06-2012 4:14 PM

(05-06-2012 2:16 PM)wiserd Wrote:  Sorry this is overly long. Hope it's useful.

Great info. I read that thing twice. Great post man. Repped

Journal: http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Riders-On-The-Storm
05-06-2012 4:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by wiserd
Login or register to remove all advertising

wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1480
Thanks received:
1324 thanks in 676 posts

05-06-2012 4:37 PM

(05-06-2012 1:47 PM)thundr Wrote:  Hippocampal atrophy and neuron loss are indeed found in Alzheimer's disease. Parvalbumin is at the forefront of these studies so far. PV proteins play a role in a ton of physiological processes and 2nd messenger production. It's present in GABAergic interneurons in the nervous system and could prolly explain why Parkinson's and Altzheimers often go hand n hand as they both may be triggered by the similar chemical imbalances that can cause brain lesions and plaque. Some data suggests that paranoia and schizophrenia can possibly be subject of this as well, hence y I just typed all that. LOL Really trying to stay on topic... PV interneurons thought to be a major contributor to brainwave frequencies (gamma). Gamma wave manipulation was another one of my failed entrainment experiments on myself and messed me up for a couple days. But thats another topic. Cest la vie.

That is cutting edge stuff! This is the first time I've heard of Parvalbumin and it's potential role in alzheimers and I try to be an informed amature.

I'll have to check it out. Please post what theories you have.

Incidentally, if you're only concerned about a person treating themselves, why not just use a nasal spray directly and let the stuff be absorbed through the nasal mucosa? Would absorption be too rapid? Is evaporation your way of doing 'controlled release?'

If something evaporates, it will affect a wider audience than just the patient.

Thanks for the rep! Glad the info was useful. Big Grin

[Image: Example.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 4:39 PM by wiserd.)
05-06-2012 4:37 PM
Thanks given by thundr
dbot
Street Psychologist

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1955
Thanks received:
1986 thanks in 812 posts

05-06-2012 6:55 PM

Lately I've been researching nootropics pretty heavily, and one of the things that's come up is a common lab dye that has been used to treat malaria and a few other things for a century - methylene blue.

Turns out this stuff substantially affects the progression of alzheimer's and parkinson's, in addition to having some very interesting nootropic affects at very low doses (1-120mcg).

Here's some info:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...101335.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19433072
05-06-2012 6:55 PM
Thanks given by thundr, Lexy
zerosix85
Schadenfreudegasm

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 881
Thanks received:
774 thanks in 280 posts

05-06-2012 8:19 PM

My favorite nootropic combo is piracetam and aniracetam. A more expensive supplement regimen that I liked was oxyracetam + pramiracetam. All taken with fish oil.

While they also provide tremendous benefits to people with such neurological conditions...It's been proven to aid normal people also. My focus, memory, and reflexes are much better while on it.

It's not some magic bullet though. It's best utilized when you're trying to cram some learning experience in. Makes it perfect for students of all ages. I think athletes and performance artist will find this useful as it's also great for muscle memory.

Best of all. It's safe for you!

[Image: PfuXON0.gif]
05-06-2012 8:19 PM
Thanks given by thundr
thundr
calm like a bomb

Thanks Given: 2991
Thanks received:
5447 thanks in 986 posts

05-06-2012 11:19 PM

(05-06-2012 4:37 PM)wiserd Wrote:  Please post what theories you have.
Incidentally, if you're only concerned about a person treating themselves, why not just use a nasal spray directly and let the stuff be absorbed through the nasal mucosa? Would absorption be too rapid? Is evaporation your way of doing 'controlled release?'
I have a nasty habit of hijacking ppls threads sometimes so I'll jot some things down in my journal if you would like some more info. I've been looking into Lions Mane Mushroom lately with growing interest. Most notably the LMM compounds erinacines and hericenones (sp? I don't have my work in front of me lol) These chemicals seem to stimulate nerve growth factors. Lo or no NGF proteins are thought to be a cause for nerve degeneration. supercool ability that makes this LLM stuff unique is that the chemicals that stimulate NGF can pass blood brain barrier so it ninjas right to the source (brain). The NGF protein cant make it past the blood brain barrier so u cant stick patients with it and expect any quality resullts. Unless you wanted to stick it directly in the brain but what fun is that? More of a treatment than a cure bc the original degeration cause is still present yet some form of balance may still be achieved. The japanese are sick far ahead of us in this stuff be we are catching them, I think.. LOL like I said I won't hijack homie's thread and we can speak about these hypotheses somewhere else...

(05-06-2012 6:55 PM)dbot Wrote:  Lately I've been researching nootropics pretty heavily, and one of the things that's come up is a common lab dye that has been used to treat malaria and a few other things for a century - methylene blue.
Turns out this stuff substantially affects the progression of alzheimer's and parkinson's, in addition to having some very interesting nootropic affects at very low doses (1-120mcg).
Nice find bro. I had no idea that stuff was still around in research other than blood disorders but crossovers can be often be promising. My curiosity has been peaked, I'd like to know more.

(05-06-2012 8:19 PM)zerosix85 Wrote:  My favorite nootropic combo is piracetam and aniracetam. A more expensive supplement regimen that I liked was oxyracetam + pramiracetam. All taken with fish oil.
Those nootropes are all great supplements. I only take pramiracetam though. I'd take more but $. Ima coconut oil fanatic and I mix 10g in 15 oz melted coco oil. Im horrible at math but my clunky calculations give me about ~30-35 mg per solidified tablespoon in the AM. Pramiracetam is fat soluble and the fatty acids in coco oil dont make it past the sm intestine and slams just about all of it in me. Aniracetam is fat soluble too so taking it with fish oil is a good idea. The other 2 u mention are h2o soluble and you could prolly get better bioavailability with water. I eat about a dozen eggs a day so Im pretty sure Im getting alot of acetylcholine precursors too. LOL

Journal: http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Riders-On-The-Storm
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 11:26 PM by thundr.)
05-06-2012 11:19 PM
Thanks given by dbot, zerosix85

wiserd

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1324 thanks in 676 posts

05-07-2012 1:11 AM

(05-06-2012 6:55 PM)dbot Wrote:  Lately I've been researching nootropics pretty heavily, and one of the things that's come up is a common lab dye that has been used to treat malaria and a few other things for a century - methylene blue.

Here's some info:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...101335.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19433072

And if you slip it into someone's drink, it will change the color of their pee. I never actually did this since (though I conteplated it back in college when people tended to steal food from the common fridge) since all the strong dyes used for staining biological tissue (including methylene blue) are toxic, but it looks like they're using an absolutely homeopathic dosage. Interesting.

Also interesting to hear you're looking into nootropics. What are you hoping to find, in particular?

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 1:30 AM by wiserd.)
05-07-2012 1:11 AM
dbot
Street Psychologist

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1955
Thanks received:
1986 thanks in 812 posts

05-07-2012 11:16 AM

@thundr - Lion's Mane sounds interesting. I've heard about some people taking it but never researched it.

I've got some MB on the way from Amazon now at 1% w/v, which should be 500mcg per drop. I'm going to dilute it down to 1mcg to start; most people say the target range is around 60mcg. Here are a couple discussions with LOTS of great info:
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/519...periences/
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/239...-research/

@wiserd - The cool thing is that MB appears to have a very excellent safety profile. Chronic methemoglobinemia is treated with 100-300mg per day over the long term with few problems. At doses higher than this, MB shows a paradoxical pro-oxidant effect, but at lower doses it acts as a powerful antioxidant. It also seems to reboot mitochondrial metabolism, which is the apparent mechanism for its beneficial effects on health and cognition. There are some MAOI effects from MB, but at nootropic doses they're not likely to be terribly significant IMO.

And of course, the goal with nootropics is to supplement this

[Image: HomerBrain.jpg]

with this

[Image: MMMM-Brains-Zombie-Lunch-Bags.jpg]

Sorry, I'll stop hijacking this thread now Big Grin

Although, come to think of it, I wonder if any of the racetams could be used pheromonally...
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 11:19 AM by dbot.)
05-07-2012 11:16 AM
Thanks given by wiserd
wiserd

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1324 thanks in 676 posts

05-12-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:Although, come to think of it, I wonder if any of the racetams could be used pheromonally...

You mean to improve someone's memory to increase the potentiating effect of exposure to mones? Or something else?

That's be interesting, but it'd be very hard to determine it was happening. I don't get a beneficial effect from injested racetams, in any case, (Piracetam was awful, but maybe would go better with a different choline source. Lecithin didn't do it for me. ) so I probably wouldn't be a good subject for self tests.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 10:36 AM by wiserd.)
05-12-2012 10:32 AM
zerosix85
Schadenfreudegasm

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 881
Thanks received:
774 thanks in 280 posts

05-12-2012 11:01 AM

I used to take the Racetams with Choline but with extensive usage, any supplemental Choline source can be pro-depressive.

[Image: PfuXON0.gif]
05-12-2012 11:01 AM

wiserd

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1324 thanks in 676 posts

05-12-2012 11:20 AM

(05-12-2012 11:01 AM)zerosix85 Wrote:  I used to take the Racetams with Choline but with extensive usage, any supplemental Choline source can be pro-depressive.

Hmmm... turns out (From dbot's thread) that MB is a reversible MAOI inhibitor.
I'm torn between "I have one of those already" and "it works well so maybe this is better." Will definitely try. Thanks dbot.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22197611

05-12-2012 11:20 AM

Share This Thread
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web