Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with facebook connect Facebook, or Windows Live

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PheroTruth Mentioned in PennMedicine
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1277
Thanks received:
3363 thanks in 1425 posts

PheroTruth Mentioned in PennMedicine
04-13-2011 9:43 AM

I was just doing a Google search and found pheromones and Pherotruth were mentioned in the Editor's Note of PennMedicine, which is published by the University of Pennsylvania Heath System.

The article mainly discusses Dr. Doty, his book and his closed minded attitude towards pheromones, but hey, he is one of their own so I guess that's to be expected. The article also goes on to mentiojn James V Kohl and how he's mounted an online capaign against Doty.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share it for anyone that's interested.

.pdf  PennMedicine-2011-01-winter-issue.pdf (Size: 4.24 MB / Downloads: 8)

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....

A guilty conscience can be more cruel a judge than any court of law. In the end its not how many toys we had, and all that we ever were are the impressions we left on those we leave behind, so live your life as you'd want to be remembered when you're gone!
04-13-2011 9:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by dbot
Login or register to remove all advertising

jvkohl
Expert

Thanks Given: 34
Thanks received:
474 thanks in 195 posts

RE: PheroTruth Mentioned in PennMedicine
04-23-2011 7:47 PM

I might otherwise have missed this. Of special interest to me is the editorial comment "James V. Kohl, an independent laboratory scientist who has published widely on pheromones, has mounted a kind of online campaign against Doty’s book." -my emphasis added. The editor is aware I have published widely on pheromones, but Dr. Doty made no mention of me, or my published works in his book.

In contrast, I have mentioned Dick's work several times as a good example of a well-written book that is not so much controversial, as he intended, but simply wrong. Who is he talking about when he says “...it is erroneous to infer that a plurality of mammalian behaviors and endocrine responses is uniquely determined in an invariant way by single or small sets of chemical stimuli. . . .”

No scientist I know has ever inferred anything like what Doty says has been inferred. For comparison, it would be like saying that single food odors or small sets of food odors uniquely determine a plurality of mammalian behaviors and endocrine responses that are associated with food choice.

Experience with the odors is what determines the behavior that is associated with them, whether the odors are food odors or social odors (called pheromones, Dick).

James V. Kohl
http://www.pheromones.com

(04-13-2011 9:43 AM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  I was just doing a Google search and found pheromones and Pherotruth were mentioned in the Editor's Note of PennMedicine, which is published by the University of Pennsylvania Heath System.

The article mainly discusses Dr. Doty, his book and his closed minded attitude towards pheromones, but hey, he is one of their own so I guess that's to be expected. The article also goes on to mentiojn James V Kohl and how he's mounted an online capaign against Doty.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share it for anyone that's interested.
04-23-2011 7:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by dbot
dbot
Street Psychologist

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1955
Thanks received:
1986 thanks in 812 posts

RE: PheroTruth Mentioned in PennMedicine
04-23-2011 8:56 PM

Good points, James. And I appreciate your choice use of the author's first name Big Grin
04-23-2011 8:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web