Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Music
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

RE: Music
02-12-2020 5:00 PM

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast. I bought that album back in 82 or 83 when I was in the Air Force and living in the barracks, brought it back to my room and put it on the turntable then kicked back in a chair with a magazine. I didn't realize how loud I had my amp cranked and when that song started I nearly jumped out of my skin.

I saw them play later that year in Memphis with Saxon and Fastway, but was pretty drunk by the time Maiden came on and had dozed off for a bit, and remember waking to be staring at at a huge blowup doll perching behind them on stage.

Good times!

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
02-12-2020 5:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gladen
Pied Piper of Pickup

Rep Post

02-12-2020 5:24 PM

(02-12-2020 5:00 PM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast.

I saw them play later that year in Memphis with Saxon and Fastway, but was pretty drunk by the time Maiden came on and had dozed off for a bit, and remember waking to be staring at at a huge blowup doll perching behind them on stage.

Wow! that was back Nigel the first took over the guitar for Saxon; who in one of the universe's little ironies, was then replaced (for a short time) by another guy named Nigel! Probably Saxon's best era, in my humble opinion. I know what I'm going to listen to tonight!

Isn't Life Actually the Kobayashi Maru? Click to Read My Journal: Gladen's Grimoire
02-12-2020 5:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Login or register to remove all advertising

one eye this
Surprised?

Rep Post

02-12-2020 6:09 PM

To name a few

You are the evil scientist of your desires.
02-12-2020 6:09 PM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

02-12-2020 11:05 PM

(02-12-2020 5:24 PM)Gladen Wrote:  Wow! that was back Nigel the first took over the guitar for Saxon; who in one of the universe's little ironies, was then replaced (for a short time) by another guy named Nigel! Probably Saxon's best era, in my humble opinion. I know what I'm going to listen to tonight!

I am sure that you know that Dallas 1PM was about Kennedy's assignation, but did you know that Denim and Leather was a tribute to the 1979 Who concert in Cincinnati where 11 people were trampled to death?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PgTHwpqCJ0w&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PgTHwpqCJ0w&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1</a>

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
02-12-2020 11:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gladen
Pied Piper of Pickup

Rep Post

02-13-2020 8:31 AM

(02-12-2020 11:05 PM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  I am sure that you know that Dallas 1PM was about Kennedy's assignation, but did you know that Denim and Leather was a tribute to the 1979 Who concert in Cincinnati where 11 people were trampled to death?

I remember that event quite vividly, and also how it was addressed on the TV show WKRP. While i'm very aware of the song, I must confess that I never made the connection between "set the spirit free" and what it was alluding to. Color me dense!

Isn't Life Actually the Kobayashi Maru? Click to Read My Journal: Gladen's Grimoire
02-13-2020 8:31 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

02-13-2020 8:57 AM

(02-13-2020 8:31 AM)Gladen Wrote:  I must confess that I never made the connection between "set the spirit free" and what it was alluding to. Color me dense!

Where were you in 79 when the damn began to burst?

Were you wearing denim, wearing leather, did you run down to the front?

Did you kill for your ticket, through the ice and snow?

Don't feel bad though, I didn't make the connection either, until I saw it in an interview with Biff Byford

02-13-2020 8:57 AM
Login or register to remove all advertising

Gladen
Pied Piper of Pickup

Rep Post

02-13-2020 9:13 AM

(02-13-2020 8:57 AM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  Don't feel bad though, I didn't make the connection either, until I saw it in an interview with Biff Byford
Yep. If one knows the context of lyrics it becomes glaringly obvious; if not then it can be taken as just about anything. Of course, Tipper Gore would come along a few years later and tell us all rock songs like that are about the devil, violence, and sex...except for Kenny G. His stuff was all about SAX and violence.

02-13-2020 9:13 AM

Share This Thread