Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Just finished setting up another forum
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

Just finished setting up another forum
07-15-2010 7:59 PM

Well, I just put together another forum, and this one's just a tad different in the forum layout structure.

If you guys would, take a look and tell me what you think.

US Apartment Reviews

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
07-15-2010 7:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ClintX2
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

RE: Just finished setting up another forum
07-16-2010 11:35 AM

A combination of the colors, grey/blue and the clouds at the top put me in a serious/slightly gloomy mood as I entered the site.

The whole idea of the website remind me of carfax ("just show me the carfax")

I saw something on the calendar page about this website and domain being available for sale, all serious offers will be considered.

I don't know too much about websites and domains: So I'm a little confused- My 2 questions: Nobody hired you ahead of time to make this? Question 2 You made it knowing someone would be interested enough to buy it? ( If so that really cool it almost seems like being an inventor-if someone buys it from you and the idea really takes off in the next couple of years, and thousands of people register- do you any credit get?)
07-16-2010 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

07-16-2010 1:13 PM

I kind of see what you mean about the colors, I'll probably play with them some.

I did build this and the dallas website review site without anyone hiring me to do so. Top be honest, I've learned myBB well enought that it was less that a day's work on each site.

I built them with the idea of affiliating the sites with apartment locators and getting commissions for any referrals, as well as possibly selling sponsored listings to apartment properties.

As to the site being for sale, if I got a decent offer, yeah I would sell it.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
07-16-2010 1:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ClintX2
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

07-16-2010 7:02 PM

Less than a day is very impressive. You must have insane typing speed.

I remember talking to my brother about a blackjack website I wanted to create a long time ago before there were a ton on the web ( my brother used to work for Yahoo, and Microsoft) I wanted him to help me because I only know the very basic stuff but he said that my ideas weren't complex enough and that other people would be able to copy my website without consequence) He told me that I need a patented technology for instance if I was making a basketball website and I made *class rank generator* that when you entered the year you were born it would automatically pop out any player born the same year as you who played in the league. Then no one would be able to copy that particular part of my website because that would be my patented technology.

Did I hear him correctly or did I misconstrue something?

Is any of that relevant here?

What stops people from being able to create the same website as you?

Will this website eliminate the need for real estate agents?

P.S. I like the new header- nightscapes are a favorite of mine.
07-16-2010 7:02 PM
Login or register to remove all advertising

mark-in-dallas
Administrator

07-16-2010 8:25 PM

Hey ClintX2,

Not sure which header you saw, but I'm thinking it was probably the one from dallas apartment reviews. I posted the USA site cause I thought the linking to the forums for each State was kinda unique.

As to patenting technology and being able to stop people from copying your design or content, the answer to that is yes and no.

There are many different programming languages and platforms to build a website with: PHP, ColdFusion, ASP and Microsoft DotNet, just to name a few.

You could build your website and interactive functionality using PHP and somebody else could come along and build something very similar using Microsoft DotNet. Two different technologies, same end result. Try proving in Court that they stole anything from you.

Patents are well and great and they can protect the process used to achieve an end result, but they do not protect concepts and ideas.

The best example is right in front of you; your monitor! A brilliant concept providing a visualization of billions of digital bits and bytes. Surely the inventor patented that idea, right? Yet how many diferent brands of monitors are there on the market?

What about the car? Henry Ford surely must have patented his Model A, but look at how many different manufacturers there are today.

How about your Word Prcessor? I believe it was Clarisworks who sued Microsoft when they released MS Word. And in preparation for a loss, Microsoft quickly developed Works as a replacement . But the Courts ruled that you cannot patent a concept or a word processor!

Yes, you can patent a process and copyright your website, but the reality is all that stops is a copycat from getting hold of your exact code, which they really couldn't do anyway, and creating an exact duplicate of your website and functionality.

Will US Apartment Reviews eliminate the need for real estate agents? Doubtful, but hey I can wish like hell! Big Grin

07-16-2010 8:25 PM
ClintX2
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

07-16-2010 8:49 PM

Ok I get it.

"I can wish like hell" lol

I hope your website catches on becuase it will become the bridge that everyone has to use.
07-16-2010 8:49 PM

Share This Thread