Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Intranasal oxytocin: no effects
jvkohl
Expert

Sex: Male

Intranasal oxytocin: no effects
03-28-2011 6:17 PM

A review of safety, side-effects and subjective reactions to intranasal oxytocin in human research. Psychoneuroendocrinology, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 23 March 2011 Elayne MacDonald, Mark R. Dadds, John L. Brennan, Katrina Williams, Florence Levy, Avril J. Cauchi
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob...archtype=a
Conclusions
The evidence shows that intranasal oxytocin: (1) produces no detectable subjective changes in recipients, (2) produces no reliable side-effects, and (3) is not associated with adverse outcomes when delivered in doses of 18"“40 IU for short term use in controlled research settings. Future research directions should include a focus on the dosage and duration of use, and application with younger age groups, vulnerable populations, and with females.

Does anyone know what dose of oxytocin is supposedly contained in "Liquid Trust?"

James V. Kohl
http://www.pheromones.com
03-28-2011 6:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alpha Dream - Banned
Banned

RE: Intranasal oxytocin: no effects
03-28-2011 8:48 PM

Hey James,

I've asked vero labs this directly and they refuse to disclose how much oxytocin it contains. Given that it's likely driven by the placebo effect anyway, I see no reason for them to use any appreciable quantity of it.

On a side note, i've long wondered if it would be feasible to find a volatile oxytocin receptor agonist to actually achieve a pheromone like effect via the oxytocin approach. There are some low molecular weight oxytocin agonists available from sigma aldrich, I just haven't worked with any.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2011 8:54 PM by Alpha Dream.)
03-28-2011 8:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jvkohl
Expert

03-28-2011 10:06 PM

This reminds me of what I was told by a colleague about the concentration of androstenol in Andron (a product from the 70's). Any affect was due to the power of suggestion sans an appreciable amount of a disclosed active ingredient.

The likelihood that a pheromone-like effect on oxytocin receptors seems negligible, and I can't imagine how any propsed effect could be isolated from interaction with other receptors, like estradiol receptors, in different tissues of the brain. That's part of the problem researchers are having with attempts to discover pheromone receptors. For all we know, they could be on kisspeptin neurons that interact with the GnRH neuronal system.

That's why my focus is on the link from pheromones to GnRH, other hormones, and behavior. If you can measure a hormone change, you can be relatively certain a receptor exists in some hormone-secreting nerve cell of the brain.

James V. Kohl
http://www.pheromones.com

(03-28-2011 8:48 PM)Alpha Dream Wrote:  Hey James,

I've asked vero labs this directly and they refuse to disclose how much oxytocin it contains. Given that it's likely driven by the placebo effect anyway, I see no reason for them to use any appreciable quantity of it.

On a side note, i've long wondered if it would be feasible to find a volatile oxytocin receptor agonist to actually achieve a pheromone like effect via the oxytocin approach. There are some low molecular weight oxytocin agonists available from sigma aldrich, I just haven't worked with any.
03-28-2011 10:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
idle
Vendor

05-30-2011 3:37 PM

hmm.. today i got my hands on Oxytocin 5 IU in 1 ml.
i think he calls it Pitocin (Oxytocin for Injection)
I got it from a friend of mine (doctor).
they use this substance for injections. i got several bottle and i tried the first one with absolutely no effect. i confirm that is too heavy molecule.
If i get close enough to my skin it smells terrible Smile but if i get my hand away ... nothing..

Idea hmmm let me create a new post about this

[Image: pheromonexs_idle_signature1.jpg][Image: XVnrnN1.jpg]
www.pheromoneXS.comPutting the XS back into life™
... so How big is yours ?
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2011 3:39 PM by idle.)
05-30-2011 3:37 PM
Login or register to remove all advertising

wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Rep Post

12-08-2011 1:26 AM

(05-30-2011 3:37 PM)idle Wrote:  hmm.. today i got my hands on Oxytocin 5 IU in 1 ml.
i think he calls it Pitocin (Oxytocin for Injection)
I got it from a friend of mine (doctor).
they use this substance for injections. i got several bottle and i tried the first one with absolutely no effect. i confirm that is too heavy molecule.
If i get close enough to my skin it smells terrible Smile but if i get my hand away ... nothing..

Idea hmmm let me create a new post about this

Pitocin is synthetic Oxytocin and doesn't penetrate the blood brain barrier even when injected. It will have the opposite effect of what you're looking for, since it will cause the body to downregulate oxytocin even further since it thinks levels are sufficient, causing abnormally low levels in the brain. Birthing advocates tend to harsh against Pitocin. I'd love to know about a good oxytocin agonist since oxytocin seems to have some interesting effects regarding autism and anxiety, among other things.
Quote:But here's the catch: oxytocin produced naturally by the pituitary circulates within the brain in the cerebrospinal fluid, but oxytocin cannot cross the blood-brain barrier. This means that women get none of these positive effects when synthetic oxytocin (Pitocin or "Pit"; Syntocinon or "Synto") is given intravenously. This, of course, explains why women don't like labors that are induced or augmented with oxytocin. They may get stronger contractions but none of the beneficial mental effects that help them tolerate them or feel good about themselves, the labor, or the baby.

Lamaze forum

I don't want to inject anything but I wonder if it could be mixed with high quality DMSO and massaged into the scalp or similar?

[Image: Example.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 1:30 AM by wiserd.)
12-08-2011 1:26 AM

Share This Thread