Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to get access to Men's Area?
icarus13
Checking out the place

Sex: Male

Rep Post

How to get access to Men's Area?
05-13-2020 2:09 PM

Not sure if I'm missing a step in validating my account, or something is just wrong with my account. It looks like this subforum and the intro subforum are the only ones I can post in. How do I fix that?

thanks
05-13-2020 2:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gladen
Pied Piper of Pickup

Rep Post

RE: How to get access to Men's Area?
05-13-2020 2:23 PM

New members are limited, for a short duration, on where they can begin new posts. This restriction is lifted after they've been around for awhile and have made a token number of positively contributing posts.

The issue is that lots of new members (not saying that you will, only that it is commonplace) tend to ask the same questions over and over (rather than use the search and have their questions answered), create new threads on existing topics (rather than to contribute to existing threads on the same topic), and cross or necro post. Also, the new-member limitations cuts down the impact of the occasional spamming robo-bot.

After a short while and some minimal contributions (sorry, I don't know the actual amount) you'll be able to start new threads. If I'm not mistaken, I do believe that you can respond to active threads currently, just not create new ones. While some might decry this as unfair or draconian, there is actually a great wisdom in this. By the time one is able to create a new thread, they should have a handle on the using the search function, an understanding of the depth and wealth of information already here and at hand, and be comfortable with the culture of the forum.

Isn't Life Actually the Kobayashi Maru? Click to Read My Journal: Gladen's Grimoire
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020 2:26 PM by Gladen.)
05-13-2020 2:23 PM
icarus13
Checking out the place

Rep Post

05-14-2020 6:09 PM

(05-13-2020 2:23 PM)Gladen Wrote:  New members are limited, for a short duration, on where they can begin new posts. This restriction is lifted after they've been around for awhile and have made a token number of positively contributing posts.

The issue is that lots of new members (not saying that you will, only that it is commonplace) tend to ask the same questions over and over (rather than use the search and have their questions answered), create new threads on existing topics (rather than to contribute to existing threads on the same topic), and cross or necro post. Also, the new-member limitations cuts down the impact of the occasional spamming robo-bot.

After a short while and some minimal contributions (sorry, I don't know the actual amount) you'll be able to start new threads. If I'm not mistaken, I do believe that you can respond to active threads currently, just not create new ones. While some might decry this as unfair or draconian, there is actually a great wisdom in this. By the time one is able to create a new thread, they should have a handle on the using the search function, an understanding of the depth and wealth of information already here and at hand, and be comfortable with the culture of the forum.

Oh thanks, I didn't consider having access to reply. I don't think it is unfair at all, this is pretty standard practice for forums. I'm just really rusty. Mrgreen

Completely different topic that I will pursue once I get access to creating new threads... this forum *really* needs to have a TLS cert so https works. I cringed having to create and enter a password with plaintext comms...
05-14-2020 6:09 PM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

05-14-2020 7:13 PM

(05-14-2020 6:09 PM)icarus13 Wrote:  this forum *really* needs to have a TLS cert so https works. I cringed having to create and enter a password with plaintext comms...

Its actually an SSL Certificate, and one of the problems in moving to HTTPS is that there are thousands and thousands of insecure links scattered throughout the forum, and all pages with them would generate insecure warnings. Beyond that, the forum contains no real sensitive information. If it puts your mind at ease though, the passwords are stored in the database in an encrypted format.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
05-14-2020 7:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Login or register to remove all advertising

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New - Can't Access Journals? Ares 10 5,542 08-18-2015 6:40 AM
Last Post: Toad in the Hole