Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

For those who are old enough to remember
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

For those who are old enough to remember
10-14-2013 9:09 AM

[Image: childhood.jpg]

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they ...carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
10-14-2013 9:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Albion9
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: For those who are old enough to remember
10-14-2013 12:04 PM

Good ol' 1962 here Mark. I always think of that line from Bob Seeger's Night moves....started hummin' a song from 1962. I can't remember any of my classmates being allergic to anything. The school cafeteria served peanut butter sandwiches. My mom gave us St. Josephs orange baby aspirin and we never heard of anyone with Reyes Syndrome. We played on steel playground equipment with no mulch underneath. We ran around in groups of 5-10 kids and never vandalized or destroyed anything. We played baseball and football in the vacant lot. We would swing on vines in the woods and build forts out of whatever was laying around. My father built us rubber guns...kinda like a giant rubber band gun that would shoot bands made out of inner tube strips.
We trick or treated in a group of kids , after dark, in the surrounding neighborhoods...and never waited to get home to start eating the candy and nothing bad happened and we didn't get poisoned. We slid down hills in the snow on garbage can lids...or anything else we could find that would slide. We carried pocket knives and never pulled it in a fight. You would get into fights and the next day be friends again. We would siphon gas out of the car...with a hose and our mouth... to put in the lawn mower. If we misbehaved we got a whipping...even in public. Mom and dad would tell the neighbors to whip us if we acted up. Mom would spit on a Kleenex to wipe dirt off of our faces. My grandfather had a razor strap hanging in the kitchen...he didn't ask you to do anything twice. We didn't argue or talk back to our parents or grandparents or any teachers or grown-ups. Teachers would paddle you if you misbehaved in class...some of the coaches would make sitting back down uncomfortable. We pulled to the side of the road when a funeral procession was going by...even on the other side of a divided highway. My first car was a 1968 Firebird with a 350 engine and a 2 speed power glide transmission and an 8 track tape player. I burned regular, leaded gas. I bought it with money I earned from working at a car wash and McDonalds. I saw Kiss in concert in 1976 for $5.00 and have the ticket stub to prove it.
10-14-2013 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Something to Remember mark-in-dallas 0 1,079 07-17-2012 2:35 PM
Last Post: mark-in-dallas
  I am American, and I Remember! mark-in-dallas 9 3,112 01-21-2012 8:21 PM
Last Post: Pheroquirk
  Take a moment to remember Tisha 2 1,812 09-11-2010 6:20 PM
Last Post: mark-in-dallas
  Remember, uh, OPTIMISM?! renny 2 1,645 12-14-2009 11:09 AM
Last Post: renny
  Remember HAARP? I'd forgotten all about it, until now! mark-in-dallas 2 1,517 12-05-2009 1:32 PM
Last Post: Diane999