Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Brain doesn't sense testosterone, it senses estrogen
metaltree

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Brain doesn't sense testosterone, it senses estrogen
07-30-2019 12:02 PM

According to Robb Wolf, the brain doesn't sense testosterone levels but instead senses estrogen levels. So if your estrogen is elevated, your brain will think your body has enough testosterone and won't stimulate testosterone production.

See 14:37 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPKOXUOz5Hg
07-30-2019 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheManInTheFedora
Serious Poster

Sex:

Rep Post

RE: Brain doesn't sense testosterone, it senses estrogen
07-30-2019 8:30 PM

I think that the human brain does have androgen receptors....some scientists say that the largest sex organ in humans is their brain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6345148

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2706155/
07-30-2019 8:30 PM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

07-30-2019 9:52 PM

So, I'd never heard of this guy Robb Wolf, but that claim about Testosterone didn't sound right to me, so I decided to look him up, and I found nothing to make me think of him as credible at all. And, I don't buy that claim for a second.

I could be wrong and it's not like I haven't been before, but I find it hard to believe that the most complex organ/computer/system ever to exist doesn't monitor the level of Testosterone in its system.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
07-30-2019 9:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
metaltree

Rep Post

07-31-2019 12:18 AM

I don't know enough about the topic to determine the validity of Robb Wolf's claim. But it is an interesting claim nonetheless.
07-31-2019 12:18 AM
Login or register to remove all advertising

Blacky Chan
Serious Poster

Rep Post

07-31-2019 11:28 AM

(07-30-2019 9:52 PM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  So, I'd never heard of this guy Robb Wolf, but that claim about Testosterone didn't sound right to me, so I decided to look him up, and I found nothing to make me think of him as credible at all. And, I don't buy that claim for a second.

I could be wrong and it's not like I haven't been before, but I find it hard to believe that the most complex organ/computer/system ever to exist doesn't monitor the level of Testosterone in its system.

The claim sounds a little off.
When bodybuilders take exogenous testosterone their bodies compensate by increasing estrogen production to maintain a certain ratio
07-31-2019 11:28 AM
TheManInTheFedora
Serious Poster

Sex:

Rep Post

07-31-2019 1:10 PM

When one speaks of 'sensing' hormones, e.g. testosterone, it is not really the brain that senses this but rather, the hypothalamus which is close to the brain. It then gives signals to the pituitary gland (also close to the brain) to send Luteinizing hormone signals to the testes to secrete more or less testosterone. This mechanism is called the negative feedback loop which is achieved via the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-testes axis (HPT axis). This has long been established in endocrinology.

This is to clarify as my previous post above deals with androgen receptors in the brain....the 'fishhooks ' that grab circulating androgens such as test or DHT.

You are probably thinking of the 'aromatization' of androgens to estrogen, but as one of the aforementioned scientific articles sheds doubt as to that theory giving the example of individuals who are affected by androgen insensitivity....somebody like the actress, Jamie Lee Curtis is said to be afflicted....where she has a genetic condition in where she should have been male, but her body was insensitive to androgens and hence, she developed more into a woman than a man even with the little estrogen that was in her body. She even had to have surgery to lengthen the shallow vaginal canal that she was born with.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2019 1:14 PM by TheManInTheFedora.)
07-31-2019 1:10 PM

Share This Thread