Hello There, Guest! Register

Login or Register to remove all advertising

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Animal suicide sheds light on human behavior
Mtnjim
Curmudgen

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Animal suicide sheds light on human behavior
03-10-2010 5:33 PM

Quote:Whether it's a grieving dog, a depressed horse or even a whale mysteriously beaching itself, there is a long history of animals behaving suicidally, behavior that can help explain human suicide, says newly published research.

Rest of story HERE!!

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods.
---Lazerous Long
03-10-2010 5:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cosmomac
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

RE: Animal suicide sheds light on human behavior
03-11-2010 10:03 AM

People who don't have animals and otherwise are not around them tend to not believe that they can grieve or be depressed, etc. There is even a lot of disconnect with people who have animals, assuming animals don't feel pain like people do, like letting pets stay outside on cold nights.

The story didn't give examples of grieving animals killing themselves. They didn't say the dog who drowned itself was grieving, per se.

I was first thinking beached sea mammals probably don't fit into the "suicide" classification, since it's probably something making them do it, like sonar waves from military vessels, or pollution, etc;but then when I read the last two paragraphs, I realized that using those parameters, you could classify it as suicide. Here are those paragraphs:

"It becomes reversed, in a sense," said Ramsden. Animal and human suicides are no longer seen as willful acts but as responses to conditions.

What that suicidal Newfoundland was telling us, then, is not so much that animals and humans think alike, but that it is, as Joiner said "...a fatal consequence of biologically-based and extremely serious illness."

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2010 9:31 AM by cosmomac.)
03-11-2010 10:03 AM
Phya
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

03-11-2010 1:26 PM

No kidding Cosmomac, I was walking my roommate's dog the other day and he was just so excited to be out that he was pulling at the leash, going every which way. I had to stop, make him lay down to calm down. He didn't want to at all. He was like an impatient kid in front of Disneyland just wanting to go in. He whined and tried shaking hands to elicit a 'reward'. Eventually he understood I wasn't going to give in, so he lay down and sighed. I laughed as I watched this because I could feel his emotions, his annoyance/frustration. He wanted to run around so badly. Smile

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma... which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
-Steve Jobs
03-11-2010 1:26 PM
cosmomac
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

03-13-2010 9:35 AM

Oh yes Phya!

LOL

Reminds me of my little "Benji" dog.

I read the results of an official study where the researchers were to surprised
at the data which showed how human like many dog emotions are.

They cited the example of dogs being selfish with their toys and then when
the researchers let other dogs play with their toys, the dogs would sulk,
much the way children do in the exact same situation.

03-13-2010 9:35 AM
Login or register to remove all advertising

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Tongue A must watch for all animal lovers mark-in-dallas 3 1,744 03-07-2013 10:49 AM
Last Post: AlternativeGirl
  What animal are you ???? Tisha 31 8,443 04-06-2010 4:18 PM
Last Post: Bella
  The world's only immortal animal mark-in-dallas 1 1,245 03-20-2010 10:12 AM
Last Post: PapaWolf